We launched our Indiegogo Campaign! Read about our journey below.
Here is the link to see it on Indiegogo and donate to help us reach our goal : igg.me/at/peaceofthread
- Peace of Thread, Inc., founded in 2012, is a non-profit (501c3) based in Clarkston, Ga., a suburb of Atlanta, that is a hub for refugee resettlement. We have employed women from Iraq, Burma, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Somalia (read the story here). Right now, we are bursting at the seams. We are turning away women-in-need that are looking for jobs. We have just received a generous donation of industrial sewing machines, equipment and supplies. To be able to use the donation, we need a building!
- While we have many needs, this campaign is to specifically address one key need : MORE SPACE. Currently, we are split between a space in Snellville, Ga. that houses our fabrics and a small room at an apartment complex in Clarkston that serves as a current local training center for the refugee women. After three years of watching a property on E. Ponce de Leon in Clarkston, Ga., the perfect central location we've been dreaming of has come up for rent. We want to open a larger central training center for refugee women that will continue teach the skill of sewing and provide jobs to these vulnerable women.
- Our hearts are moved by the refugee crisis across the world. After harrowing journeys, only a few are chosen to be relocated to the United States as refugees. When these families do land, many of them have PTSD, depression, and a whole host of other issues. Our mission is to create jobs with a peaceful environment for vulnerable women. We have being doing this for 2.5 years and we are asking for your help to to do this in the BEST way. We want to see our refugee friends become self-sufficient, without having to rely on government assistance. As women of Peace, our purchases of Peace of Thread bags sew directly into the lives of these vulnerable woman. The funds from these purchases provides financial assistance to educate and empower her entire family.
What We Need & What You Get
In order to move to a larger more influential location and accept this amazing donation, we need:
- $2000 a month for rent & utilities to rent a property off of E. Ponce de Leon, in Clarkston, Ga. For this reason, we are looking to raise 1 years rent = $24,000.
- Any money raised above and beyond our goal will go to sponsor a woman. It costs $500 to train and provider her with the proper supplies.
- By donating, you get to partner with us to create hope and peace in the lives of these vulnerable women as they are adapting to their new lives in the United States.
Have you stopped in front of your T.V. listening to the reports of the war in Syria? Did you read Malala's book? Do you care about ending sex trafficking?
The refugee situation in Clarkston, Ga. is no different. We as women, can be a voice for other women.
As conflicts rage on, the refugee crisis continues to grow bigger and has become a worldwide crisis. In Clarkston, Peace of Thread is positioning itself to not just give a woman a fish but to teach her to fish for a lifetime.
You TOO can become a voice in this crises:
- You will be a part of creating a center for vulnerable women in need
- Your will us expand the numbers of employees
- You can be an active part in supporting fashion that gives forward
Risks & Challenges
- We've had many challenges in our journey, but feel blessed and prepared to make this move.
- Our biggest challenge is funding for a larger space to accommodate more volunteers and vulnerable women.